The Google Voice is a free service that lets you make calls and send text messages to anyone with regular phone numbers from the laptop or smart phone.
While Google Voice is a free service, all you need is to be in the US to make calls and send text messages (your laptop or smartphone must have US IP address) and you also need a US local number in order to activate your Google Voice number.
How to Get Google Voice Number Outside the US?
There are some easy trick that will help you get Google voice from outside the US. I activated it from Australia but the same process work with other region as well.
1. Get a US Phone number. This procedure won’t take more than 6-7 minutes.
2. Get, download and install ExpressVPN (make sure you download its Chrome or Firefox extension and connect US IP address). This is needed because you cannot log-in to Google Voice from other country.
[*] ExpressVPN, I recommend because their extension is very easy to use and require no configuration. You can easily connect and disconnect with a click.
3. Start ExpressVPN, connect US IP address and visit IP lookup website to check your location i.e. United States.
4. Start the Express Talk softphone app (earlier downloaded this app to activate your US Phone number).
5. Insert a 4 digit pin for voice mail, click I agree button to accept the terms and continue.
6. Put your US number in the next screen where you can receive calls when someone dials on Google voice number.
7. Press call me now. Google Voice will call you on your US number and you should receive call via Express Talk app. Enter the verification code using the keypad of Express Talk and once it is confirmed, your Google Voice number is ready to use.
8. Now visit voice.google.com on Chrome or Firefox browser and log-in with your Gmail account. If you see an error message on your browser saying “Google Voice is not available in your country” – clear your browser cache history and try again.
You can also download the Google Voice app on your smart phones i.e. iPhone and Android or visit directly m.google.com/voice if your mobile phone is not supported.